Whether you are moving to a new city or a new neighbourhood, packing household belongings can get tricky. How do you ensure all your items are moved without any damage? Even if you have hired the services of a local moving company, it is always good to have a packing checklist ready and a rundown of all the items that need to be packed. Your packing checklist should also contain information like notifying utility companies of your change of address, updating your information with your local bank, and contacting the post office for a change of address. If you are systematic and careful, packing and moving your belongings will not be such a bad experience, at all.
Packing and moving – especially if your are in DIY mode – may not get done all in one day. Plan ahead and start to prepare a few weeks before moving day. Contact a professional moving company as soon as you know your moving dates, to get your preferred date and avoid disappointment. A reputable local moving company will also provide you with tips and checklists, which you can use to make your relocation smooth and hassle free. Here is what your packing checklist should contain:
• At least 2-3 weeks before moving day, contact the utility companies including electricity providers, gas companies, and cable network providers to ensure your basic services are ready to go on moving day. Inform them about your relocation and clear all your dues from any past accounts. If you’re not continuing services with specific companies in your current home, make the necessary arrangements to have services terminated on the day you move.
• Visit your bank and inform your local post office about the changes to your contact details.
• At home – one of the most important things that homeowners forget is to check the pantry. Start cleaning the pantry well before moving day. Try not to grocery shop in the weeks leading up to your move, and eat any perishables and make proper use of items that may be difficult to carry. You can even donate canned items, packaged food products, and cereals that you won’t be able to take conveniently to the new address.
• If you are packing yourself, create a legend for your boxes, and an itemized list of what’s been packed, so that you can account for everything in the new home. Include a checklist of the number of chairs you have and how many boxes will be transferred. At the new home, take a tally to ensure that everything has been received properly by the moving company.
• Pack an ‘overnight’ bag or an essentials bag, and include items you’ll need during the first 24hr in your new home. Things like toilet paper, toothbrushes, cleaners, and more will be important on your first night, and will take a bit of the stress out of your first night in your new home.
• Before leaving your old home, check each room carefully to ensure nothing is left behind. Check inside the cupboards and in the bathroom to make sure that you have packed everything. In addition, ensure you and a representative from the moving company do a proper check in the truck once it has unloaded in your new home, to ensure nothing is left behind by accident.
When choosing a moving company…
• Before choosing a local mover, compare the rates and services of at least two or three companies. Comparing services and negotiating rates will get you the best deals in the city. You might even receive a discount on service, which will help you save on your overall moving budget.
• Have a detailed conversation with the local moving company you are choosing. Provide them with a clear picture of the services you are looking for and ask them whether they are equipped to provide the specific services you require.
• Check whether the moving and packing company you select has a team of experts who are skilled to pack a variety of household items, and make note of any specialty or unique items you want extra attention paid to.
• Before the movers arrive, make sure you are not moving unwanted items. Take some time to throw away unwanted items and sell the furniture and appliances you don’t need any more. This will help you save on packing, earn a bit of extra money, and keep waste and useless items out of your new house.
Keep this packing checklists handy if you want your relocation to be smooth, hassle free, and simple. A proper checklist will also reduce damages and make sure that you and your belongings reach your new home safely. It will also ensure that you are not carrying unnecessary belongings along to your new nest.
If you’re looking for the best movers in the city to help with your packing & unpacking needs, and who offer the most professional moving services in the GTA, look no further than Five Star Movers. We are a professional moving company in Toronto, with movers in Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Ajax, Markham, Scarborough, North York and across Ontario. We pride ourselves on being the best movers in Toronto with no hidden fees and no surprises on moving day. Contact us today for a FREE quote and learn why we are the best local movers around!