Want to prepare a budget for your upcoming move and, more importantly, want to stick to it? It doesn’t matter if it is an office or a residential move, it is important to take the time to prepare a budget. Moving always includes many different components such as packing, cleaning, purging as well as finding and hiring a moving company. All of these elements have costs associated with them, and you will have a much less stressful experience if you take the time to budget for these and other related expenses in advance.
Here are areas to consider when building a budget for moving:
- Touch up your old space: Before selling or leasing your old space, spend some time and effort on touching up your home. This could include major projects like hiring a home staging company and replacing broken appliances, or something simpler like purchasing new curtains or throw pillows. Decide what will need to be done around your space and then budget accordingly.
- Hire a moving company: Many moving companies will handle both office moves and residential moves as well as other services like short or long term storage, packing and unpacking services. Contact moving companies in your area for quotes on the services you will need. The amount of items you have to move and the distance travelled will impact the price of your move.
- Moving Insurance: While most moving companies will provide basic moving insurance, it may not be enough to cover the value of your items, depending on what you are moving. If you are completing an office move, extra insurance to cover all the computers and equipment may be required.
- Moving supplies: Boxes, proper wrapping supplies, tape, storage bins – do some research as to where you can buy these items and what the most cost effective options might be.
- Post -Move Expenses: There will be several costs to incur after your move is complete. The cost of getting your internet and phone hooked up, changing the locks, redirecting your mail, and cleaning your new space (either a cleaning service or cleaning supplies) are all things to consider as part of your moving budget.
By taking the time to prepare a budget before a commercial or residential move, you will have a better understanding of what expenses might come your way and the best way to spend your time and money. But, be aware that no matter how well you think you budget for your upcoming move, you never know what may come up unexpectedly. As such, it is strongly advised to plan for a contingency fund, just in case. Being prepared for the unknown will put your mind at ease and will reduce stress levels if something unplanned does happen.
Working with an experienced moving company is one way to make your move go smoothly and ensure you get the best value for your money. Five Star Movers is a professional, fully licensed, bonded, and insured moving company that has been serving the GTA, Mississauga and Halton region for more than two decades. Visit our website to get a free quote or call us today at 647-348-0886.